• 640g mixed fruit
• 3/4 cup soft brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon mixed spice
• 1 cup water
• 190g butter
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 cup plain flour
• 1 cup self raising flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
1. Combine the water, mixed fruit, sugar, spice and butter in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 10 minutes, then remove and allow to cool.
2. Add the eggs. Fold in the sifted flours and soda, mixing well.
3. Place mixture in a greased and lined 20cm round cake pan.
4. Bake in slow oven (130-150C) for 1-1¼ hours or until cooked when tested – a skewer inserted into the centre comes out slightly moist. (NB Cover loosely with a sheet of foil or brown paper if top of cake is over-browning during cooking).
5. Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely. Cake will continue to cook a bit and may dry out if left it tin for too long.