What did I learn today? That even using a mitre box doesn’t mean that you’ll end up with nicely fitting mitred corners. A proper mitre saw would be a nice thing to have but the cost just wouldn’t be justified.
I cut four lengths of 90mm x 35mm treated pine for the base of the box. I tried cutting mitred corners but they didn’t work so I had to recut and refit the ends to get minimal gaps and the least amount of filling.
Once I got the baseboards on and filled, I undercoated. I’ll have to paint the ends of the baseboards tomorrow, once the filler has dried and I can sand them. I’m not happy with the colour I painted the windows so I’ve painted over them with undercoat. I’ll have to get some new window paint and I’m ready to buy blue paint now!
I have a couple of small things still to do on the box and then I’ll start on the roof. I have to do the roof supports and the shelf supports. I also still need to do the window beading and the trim for around the ‘police box’ signs. They’ll be some of the last things to go on, so I’m getting them painted and ready.
I haven’t put too much thought into how to build the roof up until now. I just try to stick with whatever I’m working on at the time. The tardis builders forum has some great resources so I’ll be having a good look at the roof reference posts.