I had trouble sleeping last night. I suddenly realised I’d marked out the wall panels the wrong size. This meant that I painted the windows too high. That, combined with thoughts about how I’d make the mail slot, and how I’d design the access to the mailbox itself kept churning around in my brain and conspired to keep me awake until the wee small hours.
I was up early to take Stephen to the station and as soon as I got home I brought the walls inside to redraw the panels. I laid them on the rug and Jet immediately took up position on them.
I then had to put on a bit more primer and spray the grey. The finish isn’t as clean this time, because of adding new paint, but the beading and recessed panels framework should cover any problems.
This afternoon I started my first cuts. My lack of experience with the power saw is showing itself. My cuts aren’t perfect so there’ll have to be a bit of filler. But I’m happy with my first wall. I’ve started with the front wall. The front doors won’t actually open. The mail will be accessed through the back wall. I’ve cut the font wall a bit shorter to allow for the mail slot. I’m going to cover the slot with the ‘Public call box’ sign, which I’m planning to make into a hinged flap on this wall. Hopefully the postie won’t have trouble working out where to put the letters!
I got most of the lattice cut for the recessed panel framework on this wall and glued it all into place. Tomorrow I’ll add the front posts, then I’ll move on to the back wall.