This recipe is supposed to be made with English Spinach but I love to make it with freshly picked, young silverbeet (chard) from the garden. It’s even nicer when you have Rainbow Chard, which many people think is milder and sweeter.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
10 sheets Filo pastry, thawed
1 large bunch English spinach, washed and roughly chopped (I like to use silverbeet (chard) freshly picked from the garden)
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 tbsp pine nuts
2 tbsp chopped mint
2 tbsp chopped parsley
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
125g feta cheese
125g ricotta cheese
60g parmesan cheese, grated
olive oil spray
1. Cook spinach and drain well. Add onions, herbs, nutmeg, pine nuts, eggs, feta, ricotta, parmesan and pepper. Mix well.
2. Lightly oil a 12cm x 22cm loaf pan. Cut filo pastry in half. Spray the first 10 sheets lightly with oil and make a stack. Use this stack to cover the base and sides of the loaf pan.
3. Spoon the filling into the pastry. Spray and layer the remaining pastry and lay on top of the filling, folding the edges in to give a ruffled finish along the top.
4. Bake in a pre-heated oven (170C fan forced/190C conventional) for 40 minutes or until golden.
5. Allow spinach pie to stand for 15 minutes before cutting. This recipe can also be made in a 20cm square cake tin.